Friday, December 21, 2012

Cooking is My Business and Business is Good

My profession and my passion really do not intertwine.  My Monday - Friday grind is that of an analyst in the world of commercial finance.  The gig is not bad, it pays well and I have a good team.
Cooking is my passion.  My family is extremely tolerant of my adventurous style.  Instead of fighting them on eating vegan I've forced myself to become increasingly creative, while maintaining a strict budget, and found ways to make fruits, vegetables and grains taste --- well tasty. The result has been a  plant-based menu that everyone appreciates with an occasional deviation.
I'm also a cook book junky.  Even prior to embracing a plant-based diet I loved cook books.  I'd watch the Frugal Gourmet and others on TV and devoured their books and I still do.  I just do my best to modify and adapt.  For example, in one of the Frugal Gourmet's books he has a recipe for Gumbo.  I've eliminated all meat and oils and it tastes great.  I visited NOLA over the summer and had a bowl at the Acme Oyster House and can honestly say mine is competitive.
It's extremely difficult to be 100% original while cooking.  I would never, ever plagiarize another's work intentionally.  I am however influenced and inspired by dozens of different chef's and writers.  I start with one of their recipes and usually make it better - at least for my family.  I'm like that old 3M commercial: We make things better.
I'm going to do my best to share some of my best recipes to help you in your journey to improved health.



No comments:

Post a Comment