Friday, December 14, 2012

Leg #1: The Swim

I decided to pursue the sprint tri a few months back.  I knew when the decision was made it would be an extreme challenge for me.  I ran a 5k with my son (he runs x-country) and finished at around 27:30 (if memory serves).  Not too impressive by any stretch but running is not one of my favorite things to do.  I'm of the opinion running is useful only when one is being chased by someone! Running is not my favorite thing but unfortunately, even at 27:30, is probably my strongest of the three legs.  UGH!!

The first leg is the swim.  I spent 5 years in the US Navy and was required to be able to "tread water" but not really swim.  Seriously, if your boat gets blown to smithereens are you going to judge your mates technique in the crawl or breast stroke? I think not. So I can tread water, doggy paddle, and do a pseudo-hybrid free style.  Knowing that my swimming needed improvement I enrolled in a beginner swim class at the local Y.

Over the past 6 weeks I worked on breathing technique, freestyle, back stroke, and breast stroke.  Yea, I didn't really get the hang of the breast stroke.  I learned proper head placement and breathing techniques for freestyle but just need to practice, practice, practice.  I can do a few laps without getting too winded but much of it is getting totally comfortable in the water - which will only come by practice, practice, practice.

I'm not really good enough to feel comfortable swimming during the scheduled "lap time" but go during the open swim time.  I am building up my base so when the 12-16 week training regimen begins I can get into the lap rotation - hopefully.

I believe I am starting with sufficient time to prepare for the race.  If any of you have completed tri's before or are tri experts any tips and tricks are invited!

I still need to get a bike, though.  UGH!

No comments:

Post a Comment