Thursday, March 1, 2012

Instant Health Improvement!

I’m a sucker for anything lists.  Give me a list of books I should read, movies I should view, or places I should go and I’ll read it.  In honor of that idea I am going to make a few lists starting today.
Top 10 things you should start doing today to improve your health and well being:
1.       Start moving.  Exercising sounds so difficult!  Truth is just moving will help.  It’s estimated by Nielsen (the TV tracking company) that the average American watched 34 hours and 39 minutes of TV per week – almost 5 hours per day.  We have time to move, don’t we?  
2.       Make the appointment.  If you haven’t seen your doctor or dentist for awhile take some time to make the appointment.  An ounce of prevention…
3.       Get the proper amount of rest.  Our bodies need ample time to repair from the stress and strain of our hectic lives and that happens primarily while we’re sleeping.  If you’re only getting 5-6 hours of sleep try to bump it up to 6 or 7.  For a full grown adult 8 hours is sufficient.  Must beyond that and we begin to encounter the law of declining marginal utility. 
4.       Dental Hygiene.  I don’t know one person that likes the formation of pus pockets in their mouth.  That is often a side effect to not flossing reguarly.  There also is a correlation between poor oral hygiene and heart issues.  Plus, a pearly white is awesome!
5.       Forgive.  I realize that this is an intangible but it is important.  When a grudge is held the only person adversely affected is the person holding it.  Ulcers, shingles, bitterness and other maladies are the fruit of unforgiveness.  Life is too short. 
6.       Drink some water.  Our bodies crave H2O so give into that urge.  Drink a glass when you awake and another prior to bed.  If you’re able to pull it off drink water during your meals instead of other liquids. 
7.       Go Green!  Are you aware that leafy greens are some of the most nutrient dense foods anywhere?  Find a way to get spinach, kale, romaine, turnip greens, mustard greens and others introduced into your diet.  
8.       Get Fruity, baby! I could eat fruit all of the time.  It’s naturally sweet and bursting with natural goodness.  Loaded with vitamin C, fiber, and many other phytochemicals it is the perfect addition to a meal.
9.       Shake & Smooth.  Smoothies are an easy way to move the needle in a healthy manner.  I start with a base of non-dairy milk, add some fruit, kale (trust me!) and some ground flaxseed.  BAM!
10.   Tell people you love them.  Anger and resentment has the tendency to corrode us from the inside.  It’s hard to remain angry when you are expressing love.  This is something I had to really work at because I am not a touchy feely kind of person.  I’ve begun expressing my love for people more and more and it actually feels good!

No comments:

Post a Comment