Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Can You Pinch an Inch?

For some reason I had a memory of the old Special K commerical that had an actor ask, “Can you pinch an inch?”  Yes, I am that old. Absolute confession: Yes, I can still pinch an inch on my belly and my not-so-lovely “love handles.”  Anyway, why did I have that vivid memory?
It is estimated that over 67% of Americans and overweight and many are obese.  I am skeptical that Special K is the answer but I suppose it is preferrable to Pop-Tarts, Paczki’s, and anything fried.  Could Kellogg’s get away with asking that brutal question, from a marketing perspective?  I doubt it. 
Mr. Kellogg, the founder of that great Michigan institution, was a healthy eater and understood the importance of a hearty breakfast.  We’ve often been told that breakfast is the most important meal of the day – and it probably is. However, it still should be healthy. 
One of my favorite breakfast meals is fruit cereal.  I chop a banana, an apple, and strawberries, add some blueberries, and walnuts and top it with non-daily milk.  It’s packed full of nutrients, fiber, vitamins, and other healthy goodness! 
My other “go to” breakfast is oatmeal.  “Yuck,” you say.  Not so fast sparky!  Cook a serving according to package instructions but don’t get it too thick.  Add 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed, a chopped banana, a handful of blueberries, and some walnuts.  I also like to throw in some chopped apples.  If you do you might want to cook them in the oatmal because they often cool the meal down too much.  This meal is especially good if you want to lower your cholesterol!
Both are staples in my fight against heart disease.  I’ve lowered my cholesterol (without the aid of medicine or supplements) by half (total) and lowered LDL by 62%!  I’ve also dropped 10+ pounds in the past 5 weeks.  I am working to get to the point where I can honestly declare, “No, I can’t pinch an inch.”
Healthy eating works!

No comments:

Post a Comment