Thursday, February 28, 2013

Mmmm Minestrone

As I have often said, purists will most certainly find an issue with many of my dishes.  I'm sure your grandma or other relative has a "better" minestrone recipe and that is okay.  Mine is good and as long as my family likes it and I can pass on a healthy dish to some others I am one happy camper.

Ingredients

1 - 25 ounce can of italian (chopped) tomatoes (oil, salt and sugar free)
1/2 onion coarsley chopped (I used red)
2 zucchini's sliced in half moons
2 ribs of celery sliced thin
1/2 cup diced carrots
1 tablespoon "italian seasoning"
1 - 15 oz can cannelini beans drained and rinsed (sub with kidneys or chick peas)
1/2 cup chopped parsley
3 cloves of crushed garlic
2 cups fresh baby spinach
1 quart of water
salt to taste

Directions

"fry" the onion, zucchini, celery, and garlic in the bottom of a soup pan with a little bit of water for 3 minutes.  Add the water, tomatoes, and carrot and bring to a simmer.  Toss in the parsley and herbs and continue to simmer for 15 minutes.  Add the beans and spinach and cook until spinach is wilted but still bright green. 

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment