Thursday, December 27, 2012

Celebrity Vegans

It's close to the end of the year and the press begins the inundation of lists: Best movie, best dressed, coolest hipster, Time person of the Year.  You know the drill.  I'm a sucker for lists too.  My favorite: 100 books every man should read (sorry ladies, athough yours is totally awesome too!).

So I started thinking about the most influential vegans and started making a mental list.  You know, Ellen DeGeneres, Bill Clinton, Arian Foster (really?), Tony Gonzales, Woody Harrelson.  The list could go on and on.  I did some initial research and discovered that Tony and Arian aren't really vegans - and that's okay.

Then I realized that I am not either.  Vegan is an easy way for people to understand how I eat.  Most don't understand there are various levels of veganism.  I didn't either until after reading some blogs and reading several books.  I'm totally into eating plants because of a history of heart disease in my family and it's working for me.  Others are in it for different reasons too and I don't know their background to write a post about it. I've not figured out how to say "I eat a whole food plant based diet" and not sound like an absolute dork (in a bad way, trust me I'm not adorkable).

When I was younger I used to act as though I didn't really care what people thought of me - but I did and still do.  I live my life to the best of my ability and do my best to live by principles rather than fads.  Secretly, I'd like nothing better than to be associated with great people like the "Top 10 Celebrity Vegans" but I'm not. People really don't care about what I eat (on a grand scale) and truthfully if someone becomes a herbivore because Alicia Silvestone, Mike Tyson, or Monroe from Grimm is vegan then when or if  they "slip up" what are you going to do?

If you eat plants because of religion, good for you!  If you prefer eating plants because you find killing animals morally abhorrent - awesome.  Please don't judge me because I am not protesting, wearing hemp clothes, or still attend church on Sunday and they serve meatloaf (that I don't eat) duing a potluck. 

There is alot of room for improvement on how we eat for many different reasons.  Plus there is plenty of space for us to love each other and resist judging others.  Those of us that don't have a moral or spiritual reason are doing our best and it's difficult because we're soley going on willpower and we need your help.

Selah!

No comments:

Post a Comment