Thursday, December 6, 2012

Reverse the Curse

Why do weeds grow in my yard without effort but growing verdant grass is nearly impossible but possible with diligence and care? The same reason living healthy is difficult.  When we age we have a tendency to put on extra weight (read fat), our bodies stiffen (in all the wrong places, thank you very much!), pooping becomes things of legend, and doctor visits are more often than that dreaded one time each year. What can be done?

The more I read and study the more I realize proper diet and exercise is vital to a long and healthy life.  Understanding it is one thing but actually living it on a day-to-day basis is not always easy.  Just because it is not easy doesn't mean it's impossible, though. I am experiencing a certain ebb and flow of healthy living versus not so healthy living.  I'm human.  Weeds grow easy but grass takes focus, effort, and care. 

It's important to know that we are in a constant struggle to live healthy.  Don't misunderstand me.  I am not talking about having an unhealthy but popular body from a skinny model or any other extreme.  When I refer to "healthy" I mean blood panels that are better than what is recommended by the American Heart Association or other government subsidized entity, our sugar levels and blood pressure are in the right zone.

It's helpful to set ourselves up for success by putting a premium on exercise of any type.  Our houses need to be stocked with fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds and other options that promote healthy living.  Chips, chocolate, and other food that is nutritionally bankrupt are easy to get, store, and eat so keeping them away is helpful.  Remember in The Karate Kid II: "Best block, no be there."

Everyday is a new day.  Every day we need to resist obesity, heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and other man-made diseases.  We can do it.  I can do it.  You can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment