Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Serious as a Heart Attack

My dad wasn't around much when I was younger so I don't have many pithy sayings or maxims that he endowed upon me.  However, he did have one phrase that stuck" "I drink lite beer and smoke lite cigarettes so hopefully one day I'll only have a light heart attack."  Stupid!
I've never accused him of being the sharpest knife in the drawer but what a moronic world view.  Unfortunately, there are many people that live by that mantra with other things as well.  People have bought the idea that one can eat whatever we want and not eventually pay the piper.  Each day about 1,634 people die from heart disease. I'm sorry, but I don't want to be another statistic. 
I've witnessed family members die due to heart disease or complications following heart attacks. I've been with family that went under the blade to have stents inserted and watched fear grip them as they weren't certain they would wake up from the operation.  Maybe, I am simply a sissy and prefer to avoid needles, scalpels, and chest crackers.
I now do my best to eat a plant based diet.  I've shunned meat, cheese, eggs, and processed foods (to the best of my ability).  My cholesterol numbers improved dramatically and I have every intention of keeping the total number below 125 for the rest of my life.  Still working on getting my HDL up but that will happen and it's all going to happen without sacrificing my liver on the alter of big Pharma.
Heart disease is serious.  The industry is big business and it is virtually avoidable by diet and exercise.  Why do people prefer to take meds and have surgery rather than eating greens and beans? I'm not sure either. I am going to do my part by posting reguarly on this site with the desire to help people reverse the family curse of heart disease.
God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment