Wednesday, December 26, 2012

New Years Day Hillbilly Hoedown

Although I live in the upper Midwest my families, for the most part, originated from the south: southern Indiana (bordering Kentucky), Tennessee, Virginia, and Missouri.  If you have ever eaten a meal with a southern family you know that it tastes good and is totally unhealthy.  Lots of grease, lard, hocks, salt and many other things that contribute to early graves and aches and pains later in life.

I've been a fan of southern food my entire life and have been working diligently to modify it to improve its nutrititional value.  In all seriousness, southern food is healthy when a little care and forethought is used in its preparation.

Another thing that my hillbilly (I use that term with the utmost respect, trust me) family would do is cook many southern dishes on New Years Day. It's considered good luck and ensures prosperity for the upcoming year. Yes, we still want prosperity even though in many circles it seems to be going out of style.

Why don't you come and set a spell and break bread with us on the 1st?

Menu
Black Eyed Peas
Hoppin John
Mixed Greens
Red Beans & Rice
Gumbo
Baked Sweet Potatoes
"Fried" Potatoes
Garic & Serrano Green Beans
Chopped melon
iced tea

Mmmm....Recipes to follow.



No comments:

Post a Comment