Monday, December 31, 2012

You Can't Kill Rock & Roll

This is a totally random post and has nothing to do with food. I've been thinking about all of the concerts I've been to in my life.  I began going to them consistently when I was 14 or 15 and haven't stopped.  The music style has changed but I still enjoy going - as do my wife and kids. 

Here is a guess of the bands I saw live: Judas Priest (3x), Iron Maiden (2x), Scorpions, Def Leppard, Krokus, Pat Travers, Gary Moore, Aerosmith, 38 Special, Triumph, Night Ranger, Motley Crue, Mylon LeFevre, Accept, Ratt, Quiet Riot, Night Ranger, Metallica (2x), Kiss (2x), WASP, AC DC, Van Halen, Bon Jovi (2x), The Fat Boys, Black Sabbath, Ronnie James Dio, Wasp, Deliverance, Armored Saint, Fastway, SuperChic[k] (2x), Newsboys (2x), Queensryche, Skillet, Toby Mac (2x), Audio Adrenaline, Run Kid Run, Pillar, Hawk Nelson, Trans Siberian Orchestra (2x), Coney Hatch, Ozzy, Ted Nugent (3x), Jackal 2x (once in a club in Norfolk when they were doing G&R cover songs), Nelson, KJ-52, Kids in the Way, Great White, Third Day, and Jennifer Knapp. I'm sure there are others I've forgotten.

  • First Concert - Iron Maiden & Judas Priest.  Axe was a no-show. (Kalamazoo, MI)
  • Concerts I had tickets to but couldn't go for various reasons: Molly Hatchet & Sammy Hagar (Kalamazoo, MI) and Great White & White Snake (Philadelphia, PA)
  • Cheapest Concert - Def Leppard, Krokus, Gary Moore for $9.00 (South Bend, IN)
  • Best Light Show - Trans Siberian Orchestra (Grand Rapids and Battle Creek, MI)
  • Best Show - Queensryche & Metallica (San Diego, CA)
  • Coolest Concert Moment - One of my friends caught the neck to Paul Stanley's (Kiss) guitar when he smashed and tossed it (Battle Creek, MI).
  • Worst Concert - tie, Bon Jovi and 38 Special (Norfolk, VA) and Van Halen (Chicago, IL) zzzz.
  • Biggest Disappointment - Steven Tyler forgetting 90% of the words to songs he wrote and stopping the show early.  Good thing they were only opening for Terrible Ted (Kalamazoo, MI)
  • Best opening act - Iron Maiden (Kalamazoo, MI)
  • Loudest Concert - AC DC during For Those About to Rock (Kalamazoo, MI)
  • Bands I Still Want to See - U2, The Fray, Building 429, and Switchfoot
  • Best Guitar Solo - Probably Richie Samboro (sp) from Bon Jovi (Ka;l
  • Why am I here show? - Fat Boys, after a Philadelphia 76ers game.  (Spectrum in South Philly)
  • Best Vocals - Geoff Tate, Queensryche
  • Best Drum Solo - Drummer from Nelson.  I know, shocking. The only reason I remember that show. Guy was awesome.
  • Best Rhythm section - Third Day
Just a walk down memory lane.  Do you have any to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment