Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Good Enough Is Just Not Good Enough

I've been wanting to try a trendy snack but just haven't got around to it.  I've viewed several recipes and didn't find one that I thought sounded good. I finally found one that sounded pretty tasty and thought I'd give it a shot on New Years Eve.  What's the snack? Kale chips.

For the record, I like kale.  Kale is my green of choice for smoothies.  I love its versatility, hardiness, and blendability (I don't have a Vitamix, yet).  I'm a big fan of other greens as well.  I grew up primarly on turnip greens but I also enjoy collards, dandelion, and mustard.  I wanted to be clear on my greens affinity before proceeding. I like greens. 

I hated the kale chips.  First of all it took F-O-R-E-V-E-R to cook them.  Prepping kale is laborious enough but cooking something in the oven on 200 degrees for 2+ hours is way too much work for me.  Strike one.  Then the end result was sub-par.  I don't believe it's the way I cooked them.  I'm pretty competent in the kitchen.  They just weren't good.  Strike two.

I've been eating a plant-based diet for a few years now and if something is "good enough" because it's plant based it should be discarded from my recipe rolodex.  There are so many excellent tasting dishes that are plant based why would one settle for something that was just okay. And that's exactly what the kale chips were that I had  -- only okay.

I've heard many people talk about how yummy they are and even their little kids want them.  I can't imagine them tasting good after having them.  If I want a snack I guess I'll stick with carrots, celery, or bite-sized sweet peppers. 

Kale chips are a no go for this guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment