Thursday, January 17, 2013

Teaching an Old "Dog" New Tricks

One of my many interests is genealogy.  I recently received copies of 3 of my 4 grandparents death certificates (1 is still alive, yeaaa!).  All three died of some sort of heart disease.  Now, most people would say, "it's in your genes" but I don't buy that load of poppycock.  The reason heart disease is "in our genes" is because we haven't changed our poor eating habits.  I made that change about 2 years ago and it's made a huge difference in my life and health.

My grandma fried everything! My grandpa ate everything she fried.  I am convinced he lived longer than her only because he ate oatmeal everyday for breakfast and that acted as a partial deterrent to his inevitable demise caused by heart disease.

Change is hard - we all know that.  Changing when one is older is even harder but not impossible as this story indicates. I have many members in my family that are curious about how I eat but they never take the "leap of faith" to actually give it a shot.  I'm inspired by Daniels story, dedication, and honesty.  I'm all going to steal his line, "you're fine, until you're not."

If you're on the fence take a 10 day challenge like is mentioned here.  Who knows, it just might change save your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment