Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Just Give Peas a Chance

Just as everyone else, I have my fair share of problems, inconveniences, and challenges.  Lately, I’ve been doing a poor job of managing them.  My temper is quick to erupt, I get aggravated at everything a certain person does, and I’ve been on the ugly side of life.
I was talking to God today and began to flip through the New Testament.  I came to Colossians, which is one of my favorites, and read a few scriptures.  I was encouraged to “put on” love, to “let” the peace of God rule in my heart, and to “let” the word of Christ dwell in me richly.
Are you kidding me? You mean to tell me I have a part to play in this and it isn’t just God pulling a lever and “presto chango” my life is back in line again? It was hard for me to believe.  
You see, I’ve been “putting on” something else and it sure was not love.  Why was I “putting on” something that was not good for me?  I don’t put food in my mouth that is not good for me!  Why would I put anything in my soul and spirit that contaminate? Why because it’s easy and it doesn’t produce negative fruit immediately.  It’s an accumulative affect and by the time one realizes it getting free is difficult.
I have choice what rules in my heart according to these scriptures.  I can let the peace of God rule (good) or I can let animosity and strife rule (bad).  I’ve never really thought about it that way.  Animosity and strife are ready to pounce! They are ready to blow at any time.  The peace of God is not pushy and apparently I must choose to let the peace of God rule in my heart.
I also have the power to let the word of Christ to dwell in me richly.  In our current political environment life is about sides.  One side is always pounding the other side.  Listening to the news or radio, heck even reading some food blogs instigates stress. Stress, fear, and hatred, similar to animosity and strife, are always looking for an easy target to attack.  No more.  I choose the way of love, peace, and the word.
I no longer will be used as a pawn.  I am going to put on love, let the peace of God rule in my heart, and let the word of Christ dwell in me – richly!
Selah

No comments:

Post a Comment